albania Head

Albania, on Southeastern Europe’s Balkan Peninsula, is a small country with Adriatic and Ionian coastlines and an interior crossed by the Albanian Alps. The country has many castles and archaeological sites. Capital Tirana centers on sprawling Skanderbeg Square, site of the National History Museum, with exhibits spanning antiquity to post-communism, and frescoed Et’hem Bey Mosque.

Major Languages: The official language of Albania is Albanian, which is a member of the Indo-European language family. The Albanian language has two main dialects: Tosk, which is spoken in the south, and Gheg, which is spoken in the north. Most Albanians are fluent in both dialects, and both are used in the media and in education. In addition to Albanian, many Albanians also speak English, particularly in urban areas. Other languages that are spoken in Albania include Greek, Italian, and French.

Major Ethnic Groups: The majority of the population of Albania is ethnically Albanian, and Albanians make up about 95% of the country's population. The remaining 5% of the population is made up of a diverse group of ethnicities, including Greeks, Vlachs, Roma, Macedonians, Montenegrins, and others.There is a significant Greek minority in Albania, particularly in the southern part of the country. The Greek community in Albania is concentrated in the cities of Sarandë and Gjirokastër, as well as in the surrounding rural areas. There is also a small community of Roma people in Albania, and there are smaller numbers of other ethnicities, including Vlachs, Macedonians, and Montenegrins.

Belief Systems: Muslim 56.7%, Roman Catholic 10%, Orthodox 6.8%, atheist 2.5%, Bektashi (a Sufi order) 2.1%, other 5.7%, unspecified 16.2%

Note: all mosques and churches were closed in 1967 and religious observances prohibited; in November 1990, Albania began allowing private religious practice (2011 est.)


3.25 million people (World Rank: 135th) (2014 estimate)
Population Density: 307 people/mi2 (People per Square Mile) (World Rank: 97th) (2014 estimate)
Population Growth: 0.339 %/yr (World Rank: 180th) (2013 estimate)
Life Expectancy: 77.4 years (World Rank: 66th) (2013 estimate)
Median Age: 31.9 years (World Rank: 66th) (2010 estimate)

Sites for More Information:

Map of Albania

Country Profile for Albania
United Nations

World Factbook


Albania - Country Profile


Culture and Tourism:

Travel Albania
All About Exploring Albania

Albania-Tourist Destinations
Places to Visit in Albania

Korca Beer Festival
Biggest Public Celebration in Albania

Tiranainternational Film Festival
National Film Festival in Albania

Albanian Language Resources:

Study Abroad in Albania
Albanian language Study Tours

Learn Albanian

Government Related:

Albanian Embassy in Washington D.C.

Albanian Government Website
by Gunnar Anzinger

Political System in Albania

Local Weather Conditions

A World of Cultures © 2024
Brought to You by the
Worldview Project